10 things to do in Orillia to make the most of your break
By: Mikaela Mayhew, Contributor
Looking for some local fun this winter break? Check out our recommendations:
- Ice Skating: throw on those blades and hit the ice with friends or family. Check out the skating rink at Rotary Place or take a little drive up north to the Arrowhead Ice Skating Trail.
- Snow Tubing: enjoy the snowy slopes this winter at Horseshoe Valley.
- Take a Winter Hike: get in touch with nature on a hike in a local forest or trail. We recommend Scout’s Valley!
- Build a Snowman or Snow Fort: have a contest with your friends to see who can build the biggest snow figure.
- Enjoy a Hot Drink: warm up your spirit with a hot chocolate, tea, or coffee from one of Orillia’s finest coffee shops. Enjoy the speciality holiday drinks at Mariposa Market or the hot chocolate topped with whipped cream at Apple Annie’s, both located downtown. Or try the mellow vibes and great hot drinks from the recently established Mark IV, located on Nottawasaga Street.
- Join a Holiday Themed Book Club: grab some friends and check out titles such as The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey, City of Thieves by David Benioff, and The Noel Stranger by Richard Paul Evans.
- Host a Movie Marathon: with the early nights and sometimes sick days, winter is the best time to curl up on the couch and host a marathon of your favourite movie series with friends.
- New Year’s Eve Bash: on December 31, check out the Rotary Place to enjoy rock climbing, skating, games, crafts, and a massive balloon drop.
- Polar Plunge: join other volunteers in Barrie by jumping into freezing cold Ontario winter water to raise money for Special Olympics Ontario.
- Frozen Maple Taffy: if you’re looking for some nostalgia or to pass on the tradition, grab some hot, pure maple syrup, popsicle sticks and snow and make yourself some frozen maple taffy.