The Orillia Bureau Chief is responsible for coordinating and putting together the content for the Orillia section of The Argus.
- Recruiting and managing contributing writers for the Orillia section of The Argus, consisting of 4,000 publishable words per issue, divided into the following subsections — 2,000 words for news, 1,000 words for columns and editorials, 1,000 words for sports.
- Recruiting and managing contributing photographers for the Orillia section of The Argus.
- Prepare all content submitted by Orillia contributors for the corresponding section and submit completed work to The Argus’s editor-in-chief.
- Ensure that relevant and newsworthy events at both the university and Orillia are covered.
Desired skills and characteristics
- Strong writing and organization skills.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- A passion for local city and university issues and events.
- Ability to lead and coordinate a small team of contributors.
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment with solid deadlines.
- A passion for writing and/or journalism.
- A generous honourarium per published issue.
- Access to an unparalleled experience and a great resume item.
- Participation in a half century-old tradition at Lakehead University.
The Orillia Bureau Chief is not an editing position, but does require a keen sense of writing and grammar in order to gauge the quality of potential contributors’ work. The Orillia Bureau Chief reports directly to the Editor-in-Chief.
How to Apply
Please send three writing samples (non-fiction, at least 350 words each) to editor at theargus.ca along with a short letter of intent. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. We look forward to hearing from you!